Saskatchewan Society of Occupational Therapists

What's New


Join us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Instagram!

Canadian Occupational Therapists Starting Practice in Saskatchewan

In order to practice as an Occupational Therapist in Saskatchewan, registration with SSOT is compulsory under the Occupational Therapist’s Act, 1997. Registration with SSOT assures the public that the Occupational Therapist has successfully completed all requirements of registration as defined in the legislation. It is advisable to begin your registration application early, as you must be registered and hold the applicable practice license before commencing employment (including workplace orientation).

An Occupational Therapist licensed in another Canadian jurisdiction may have his/her qualifications recognized for registration in Saskatchewan under the Labour Mobility Support Agreement (LMSA) between provincial regulatory organizations. If you are not eligible for registration under the Labour Mobility Support Agreement, your application will be considered under the regular registration process (see New Canadian Graduate in Occupational Therapy).

If you are eligible for LMSA transfer, make arrangements for the originating jurisdiction to complete a LMSA confirmation form and regulatory history. Use the attached LMSA Confirmation Form and forward it to the originating jurisdiction to be completed.

Application Forms

New applicants must provide evidence that they meet the set requirements by completing the following SSOT application form and the Labour Mobility Support Agreement Confirmation Form. The application and accompanying documentation must be received by SSOT with full payment. Anticipate at least 7 days for your application to be processed.

Among other requirements, to be eligible to practice in Saskatchewan you must have worked as a licenced occupational therapist in a regulated province or country for 1000 hours in the last five years, 600 hours in the last three years or have graduated from an approved occupational therapy education program within the last 18 months. You must also have successfully completed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination (NOTCE). If you do not meet this requirement go to the website page for Occupational Therapists returning to practice.

Please ensure you have included the following items. Incomplete applications cannot be processed until all correct documentation has been received.

  • completed SSOT application form and LMSA form
  • proof of successful completion of the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination (NOTCE)
  • correct fee submitted with a certified cheque or money order in Canadian Funds
  • name change verification (if required)

SSOT application form

LMSA Confirmation form

Regulatory History form

LMSA Agreement


SSOT’s membership year is from March 1 to the last day of February. There is a non-refundable application fee required with your application. New applicants registering with the College during the registration year are required to pay the annual registration fees listed below.

Renewal of your registration is required on February 15 each year. The annual registration form and fee must be received by SSOT no later than February 15 to avoid a late fee penalty. If your annual registration form and fee are not received by the last day of February at 5 pm you will not be licensed to work in Saskatchewan as an Occupational Therapist and your employer will be notified.

Fee Schedule - Updated December 2016

Insurance and Frequently Asked Questions

Bylaws to require $5 Million liability/malpractice insurance for all SSOT practising members have been approved by the SSOT membership and the Minister of Health. This insurance is now required for all new SSOT practicing and restricted licence applicants and will be required by all current SSOT members by February 28, 2009. SSOT does not endorse one provider or carrier over another. This insurance may be purchased through:

  • Any independent insurance broker: a listing of Saskatchewan members is available through the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada (www.ibac.ca)
  • The Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (www.caot.ca)
  • AON Healthcare Advantage, is an independent insurance broker that sells professional liability insurance for occupational therapists (http://solutions.aon.ca/aha/ot/)