Saskatchewan Society of Occupational Therapists

What's New


Join us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Instagram!

What is Occupational Therapy?

Occupational Therapists (OTs) work with their clients to assume or resume the skills they need for the job of living. The job of living for all people includes many occupations, tasks or activities that occupy your time and energy such as getting dressed, going out or doing household chores. Occupations will vary with age, abilities, interests & responsibilities. The occupations you want or need to be engaged in may be affected by illness/disease or circumstance. Occupational Therapists will work with you to achieve your occupational goals of everyday life.

Where do OT's work?

  • schools or daycares
  • community health centres
  • seniors' centres
  • private industry/workplace
  • home care programs
  • long-term care facilities
  • hospitals or specialized rehabilitation centres
  • mental health centres
  • private practice (in clinics or as consultants to the services or places mentioned above)
  • administration (for example, in organizations related to health)

SSOT Submission to the Saskatchewan Disability Strategy

SSOT Response to the Disability Strategy

Occupational Therapy in Primary Health Care 

OT Now on Primary Health Care - The intention of this special issue of Occupational Therapy Now is to provide a broad audience including occupational therapists, health professionals, clients, policy makers, the general public and other stakeholders with information on the range of roles occupational therapists hold in primary health care settings. 

How do I become an OT

To find out more about a career in occupational therapy, read more on the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists' (CAOT).

To work in Saskatchewan as an Occupational Therapist, you are required to have an entry-level university degree (Baccalaureate or Professional Master’s) in occupational therapy. As part of the university program, every occupational therapy student is required to complete 1000 hours of supervised clinical experience.

All accredited occupational therapy university programs in Canada are registering students in Professional Masters programs. Currently Saskatchewan does not have a school of occupational therapy but some seats are designated at University of Alberta for Saskatchewan students. Please go the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists site for more information about accredited Canadian occupational therapy programs.

Opportunities to Observe Occupational Therapists

The following occupational therapists and organizations are willing to talk to people considering occupational therapy as a career choice. You could meet with an occupational therapist to talk about their practice and possibly observe some aspects of their practice. Please contact the person or organization that you are interested in directly. 

How much do OT's get paid?

Occupational Therapists that work for Saskatchewan Health Regions are paid according to a collective bargaining agreement that has been negotiated by the union representing them. The union is Health Sciences Association of Saskatchewan (HSAS). You can access the current salary scale on the HSAS web site.

Occupational Therapists who work in private practice or who are hired by other agencies will have wages that vary and it is best to contact the specific site for their salaries.