Occupational Therapists are university educated health professionals who work with their clients to assume or resume the skills they need for the job of living. The job of living for all people includes many occupations, these are any tasks or activities that occupy your time and energy such as getting dressed, going out or doing household chores. Occupations will vary with age, abilities, interests & responsibilities. The occupations you want or need to be engaged in may be affected by illness/disease or circumstance. Occupational Therapists will work with you to achieve your occupational goals of everyday life.

Where do OT's typically work?

  • schools or daycares

  • community health centres

  • seniors' centres

  • private industry/workplace

  • home care programs

  • long-term care facilities

  • hospitals or specialized rehabilitation centres

  • mental health centres

  • private homes

  • private practice (in clinics or as consultants to the services or places mentioned above)

  • administration (for example, in organizations related to health)

How do I become an Occupational Therapist?

To find out more about a career in occupational therapy, read more on the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists' (CAOT) website.

To work in Saskatchewan as an Occupational Therapist, you are required to have an entry-level university degree (Baccalaureate or Professional Master’s) in occupational therapy. As part of the university program, every occupational therapy student is required to complete 1000 hours of supervised clinical experience.

All accredited occupational therapy university programs in Canada are registering students in Professional Masters programs. Currently Saskatchewan does not have a school of occupational therapy, but 20 seats are designated at the University of Alberta for Saskatchewan students. Please go to the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists site for more information about the accredited Canadian occupational therapy programs.

How much are Occupational Therapists paid?

Occupational Therapists that work for the Saskatchewan Health Authority are paid according to a collective bargaining agreement that has been negotiated by the union representing them. The union is Health Sciences Association of Saskatchewan (HSAS). You can access the current salary scale on the HSAS web site.

Occupational Therapists who work in private practice or who are hired by other agencies will have wages that vary, and it is best to contact the specific site for their salaries.